Renewable Fuel Standard
Driving Growth for Clean Fuels
The Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) supports sustainable growth of the clean fuels market in America. RFS requires transportation fuel sold in the United States to include annually set volumes of clean fuels. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) sets the required RFS volumes each year and maintains data on production and use.
Since the creation of the RFS, the biodiesel and renewable diesel market in the United States has grown from a few hundred million to more than 3 billion gallons annually.
Clean Fuels Alliance America provides critical data on the availability of raw materials in America. To support the continued growth of our industry, this data represents all the feedstocks used to produce biodiesel and renewable diesel, including soy, canola and other vegetable oils, recycled cooking oil and greases, and animal fats. Clean Fuels and our members engage with the EPA throughout the year to provide updated data on resource availability, as well as to comment on proposed rules and testify at public hearings.
- Letter from Reps. Hinson, Craig and 35 Representatives to EPA Administrator Regan Urging Higher RFS Volumes Particularly for Biomass-based diesel
EPA's 2023 RFS volumes for biodiesel and renewable diesel are a step in the wrong direction.
- Letter from 16 Senators to EPA Administrator Regan on the 2023 RFS Volumes for Biomass-based Diesel
The final RFS rule must increase the volumes for biomass-based diesel to reflect market conditions.
- Letter from Iowa, Missouri and Nebraska Governors to EPA Administrator Regan on RFS Biomass-based Diesel Volumes for 2023-2025
The Proposed Renewable Fuel Standard Rules for 2023, 2024 and 2025 did not provide the expected upward trajectory for the biomass-based diesel industry.
- Letter to President Joe Biden from 75 Stakeholders on the RFS Biomass-based Diesel Volumes for 2023-2025
Increased production of biodiesel and renewable diesel in 2023 illustrates the need for EPA to raise RFS volumes substantially.
- Clean Fuels Comments on EPA Proposed Greenhouse Gas Emissions Standards for Heavy-Duty Vehicles-Phase 3
EPA cannot discount the immediate benefits biodiesel and renewable diesel have as we decarbonize the heavy-duty sector.
- Letter from Clean Fuels, Transportation and Heating Oil Associations to EPA Administrator Regan on RFS Biomass-based Diesel Volumes for 2023-2025
The U.S. National Blueprint for Transportation Decarbonization notes that clean, sustainable fuels are needed right now to drive emissions reductions and set us on a road to a clean transportation future.
- Clean Fuels Comment on Draft “Biofuels and the Environment: Third Triennial Report to Congress”
We urge EPA to re-examine its assessments of the biofuels and agricultural markets and the methodology it uses to assess land cover and land management change
- Clean Fuels Comments on Proposed RFS Volumes for 2023, 2024, and 2025
Increasing production of clean fuels through the RFS improves U.S. energy security, lowers diesel fuel prices, and generates carbon and emission reductions today that are necessary to meet future national environmental goals
- Letter to President Biden on Gas Prices, June 2022
The RFS increases the supply of distillate fuels used to transport consumer items. The added supply keeps prices at the pump lower.
- Letter to Congress Policy Priorities, 2021
The industry's federal policy priorities include stable tax incentives, funding for infrastructure, and optimizing the RFS to achieve carbon reductions.
June 21, 2023
Clean Fuels, RFS Stakeholders Send Letter to President Biden on RFS BBD Volumes
June 8, 2023
Clean Fuels Applauds Governors’ Letter on RFS BBD Volumes
May 25, 2023
Clean Fuels, Transportation Industries Ask EPA for Strong Growth in RFS BBD Volumes
May 11, 2023
3 Years’ Worth of Proposed RFS ‘Growth’ in Biobased Diesel Volumes Fulfilled in 3 Months
May 5, 2023
Clean Fuels Applauds Senate Letter Urging Stronger RFS Volumes
April 14, 2023
Clean Fuels Thanks House Members for Urging EPA to Raise RFS Volumes
April 14, 2023
Clean Fuels Urges EPA to Either Raise RFS Multiyear Volumes or Only Finalize 2023 Volumes
February 10, 2023
Clean Fuels Expresses Frustration with EPA’s RFS Proposal for 2023 – 2025
January 10, 2023
Clean Fuels Says RFS Proposal for 2023 and Beyond Woefully Underestimates Biomass-based Diesel
December 1, 2022